On this page you will find details of the following courses:
- Outstanding Teacher Programme
- Securing ‘Good’ with the ITP
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Programme
OTP – OUTSTANDING TEACHER PROGRAMME
A facilitated programme, the Outstanding Teacher Programme gives good and outstanding teachers a set of high level skills and strategies that enable them to become consistently and sustainably outstanding.
The Outstanding Teacher Programme
- provides in-depth coaching to deepen teachers’ understanding of outstanding classroom practice. Participants improve through facilitated practice activities as structured opportunities to reflect on teaching approaches and their quality and impact
- introduces and consolidates new knowledge and skills, and focus on what makes teaching and learning outstanding
- provides strong input on the progression against the professional standards of excellence. This programme is crucial for teachers involved in developing Leadership in Teaching and Learning
The Outstanding Teacher Programme consists of five half-day sessions and two full day sessions, through an OLEVI approved host school. Secondary schools need to release three teachers at a time, as learning takes place in groups of three. A school-based buddy supports the learning process of each school group.
This programme is open to teachers with the potential and capacity to deliver consistently outstanding lessons, and who want to develop a mindset of excellence.
A recent external evaluation of this programme reports that participants become much more reflective about their teaching and much more aware of how to make their lessons consistently outstanding.
SECURING ‘GOOD’ WITH THE ITP (IMPROVING TEACHER PROGRAMME)
A facilitated programme, the highly-effective Improving Teaching Programme equips teachers with the skills and strategies to help them reach the next level of professional practice.
The Improving Teaching Programme
- provides improving teachers with in-depth coaching, tailored to a self-assessment of their teaching. It provides opportunities to deepen their understanding of high-quality classroom practice and teaching and learning. Participants improve their teaching through facilitated practice, observation of colleagues and working with ‘live’ students
- supports a wider range of teaching activities, including: planning lessons, starter activities, plenary sessions, questioning techniques, engaging in learning, challenging learning, assessment and differentiation strategies
- builds confidence of staff to become used to class observations and adopt a positive “can do” attitude.
The Improving Teaching Programme consists of six consecutive weekly half-day sessions, through an OLEVI approved host school. Secondary schools need to release three teachers at a time, as learning takes place in groups of three. A school-based buddy supports the progress of course delegates throughout.
This programme is open to all teachers who want to improve their teaching practice and want to learn how to teach and facilitate consistently good lessons matching theory with application.
The Improving Teaching Programme is having a significant impact on the performance of teaching staff and students in schools. One teacher remarked: “It has completely transformed my life, both in and out of the school and that of my students.”
OUTSTANDING TEACHING ASSISTANT PROGRAMME (OTAP)
The Outstanding Teaching Assistant Programme is for teaching assistants who are, or who have the potential to be, outstanding in their roles. It is intended to develop the potential for Teaching Assistants to have a wider impact on improving the quality of teaching and learning across the school.
OTAP enables teaching assistants to:
- place a greater emphasis on the purpose and value of the lessons they support
- raise levels of engagement and achievement in learning
- use different methods and styles of support to challenge learners
- innovate and take risks
- have a bigger impact on the planning and assessment for the learners they support
- demonstrate a higher level understanding of teaching and learning
- be able to coach colleagues to raise performance
The programme focuses on a range of aspects of teaching and learning such as challenge, engagement, assessment, differentiation, questioning and planning. There are facilitated practical sessions and lesson observations at the host school, with linked practical tasks back in the participants’ own schools to apply what they learn.
The programme enables delegates to share ideas and strategies to help move their schools forward. Delegates gain confidence in feeling able to voice their views and ideas, and feel empowered to take the lead in their development as “learning assistants”, with a focus on facilitating the pupils’ learning experience.
This programme is for teaching assistants who are, or who have the potential to be, outstanding in their roles
Head teachers and delegates are telling us that the Outstanding Teaching Assistant Programme is having a huge impact on the role of the TA in the modern classroom
SCHEDULE FOR 2018-19
Outstanding Teacher Programme
The next programme will start in September 2018.
Securing Good with the ITP
The next programme will start in November 2018.
Outstanding Teaching Assistant Programme
The next programme will start in November 2018.